It’s important to have your gas appliances checked periodically, with most major manufacturers specifying that their appliances should be checked every 1 – 2 years. Carbon monoxide poisoning isn’t uncommon and can be lethal, however, it’s possible to spot several tell-tale signs that your gas cooker (stovetop and oven) is leaking carbon monoxide and needs to be replaced or repaired.

Check the Flame

This is the easiest way to check if there’s a problem with your stovetop or oven. The flame should be crisp and blue, not yellow and orange. Yellow or orange flames indicate a carbon monoxide leak.  

Look for Staining

A common sign that indicates your cooker is leaking carbon monoxide is dark, sooty staining. This isn’t staining caused by food that’s now burnt to a crisp, but a residue left by the escaping gas.

Condensation

Depending on what you’re cooking in the oven, a little condensation is normal and nothing to worry about. However, if there’s excessive condensation on the oven window, you need to have it seen to.

No Flame?

Not only should the flame be a crisp blue, but it shouldn’t go out unless a strong breeze puts it out. When the flame on the stovetop frequently goes out, it’s an indication of a carbon monoxide leak.

In addition to these tell-tale warning signs, if you experience irritated eyes/nose when cooking, you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Turn off the stovetop or oven, open the windows and doors and go outside immediately. If your symptoms persist, you may need to seek medical assistance. Newcastle Gas Service can check your cooker for carbon monoxide leaks and recommend the best action for you to take, whether that’s repairing it or replacing it completely.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

six + 1 =